- 3/4 cup (3 1/2 oz.) slivered almonds, ground
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pastry crust
- 4 cups sliced, peeled Michigan apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
* * * * *
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon grenadine syrup
1 pie, 8 servings
Per Serving, 1/8 pie
3 g dietary fiber
20 g fat
185 mg sodium
1. Thoroughly combine ground almonds, 1/2 cup of the sugar, margarine and egg. Spread evenly in bottom of pastry crust; set aside.
2. Toss together apples, remaining sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Arrange apples over almond mixture in pastry crust. Sprinkle sliced almonds over apples.
3. Bake in 350o F. oven about 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Combine preserves, water and grenadine syrup, breaking any pulp into small pieces. Spoon mixture evenly over hot apples. Cool pie completely before serving.
Suggested Michigan apple varieties to use: Empire, Gala, Golden Delicious, Ida Red, Jonagold, Jonathan, McIntosh or Rome.