Wholesome Apple Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
These muffins combine nutrient-rich apples and whole grain flour into hearty muffins that make a perfect breakfast on-the-go!
- 1 ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cup Michigan Apples*, cored, peeled and finely chopped
*Suggested varieties: Cortland, Gala, Ida Red, Johnathan, McIntosh, Northern Spy, Paula Red or Rome apples
Mix together 1 tsp. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oven to 375°. Spray muffin pan with vegetable cooking spray or line with baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon; blend well.
- In a small bowl, combine apple juice, oil and egg; mix well.
- Add apple juice mixture to dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Fold in chopped apples.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and sprinkle muffins with cinnamon sugar topping mixture; bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 to 2 minutes before removing from pan.
Nutrition facts per muffin: 160 Calories; 7g Fat; 24g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Protein; 68mg Sodium; 17mg Cholesterol; 2.5g Fiber