Chai Michigan Apple Crisp
Chai Spice Mixture:
- ½ teaspoon ground Saigon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Spiced Apple Base:
- 6 large sweet tart Michigan Braeburn apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Chai
- Spice Mixture
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon Chai Spice Mixture
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans
- ½ cup toffee bits (like Heath Bits o’Brittle)
Chai Spice Mixture Directions: Combine spice mixture thoroughly. This spice mixture will be used in the Spiced Apple Base and the Crisp Topping.
Spiced Apple Base Directions: Combine sliced apples, sugar, spice mix and flour and dump into a greased 10” deep dish pie plate. Push the apples down slightly to make room for the topping.
Crisp Topping Directions: Combine first 4 dry ingredients and add melted butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in toasted pecans and toffee bits. Sprinkle over apple base – it will seem like too much topping, but it all works out – just mound it in the center slightly if necessary or use a casserole dish if you prefer.
Baking Directions: Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes. Use a drip pan to catch any juices that might bubble over. It will be golden and crisp on top and the apples should be tender and juicy. Cool for 10 minutes before serving – a scoop of good vanilla ice cream is an excellent complement.
Created by Heather K. of Troy, OH