Caramel Apple Mug Cake
Prep Time: 5 minutes plus standing Cook Time: 3 minutes Yield: 2 cakes
- 2 microwave-safe mugs, 12 ounces or larger
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons applesauce
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lunchbox-sized Michigan Gala apple, cored and finely chopped
- Prepared caramel sauce, for serving
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
To EACH mug, add 3 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons applesauce, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Stir until very well combined, making sure there are no flour pockets in the bottom “corners” of the mugs. Divide apple between mugs and stir until well combined.
Place mugs in microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes or until cakes are cooked all the way through.
Let cakes stand 2 minutes before serving. Drizzle each cake with caramel sauce and serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Home Chef Tips:
I find it easiest to stir these up using a small rubber spatula, which ensures no flour gets stuck in the corners of the mugs.
While microwaving, watch to make sure cakes don’t spill over sides of mugs. Cakes may temporarily puff up slightly higher than the tops of the mugs, but as long as cake doesn’t start to spill down the sides, it’s fine.
If making just one cake, reduce cook time to 1 minute, 30 seconds.