Topsy-Turvy Salted Caramel Apple Dumplings
A 2013 Amateur Recipe Contest Winner!
- 1-8 oz. roll phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 5 cups tart apples (Cortland or Honeycrisp), peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Spray sides and bottom of 6 count large muffin pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large saucepan. Cook apple over medium heat until just tender. (Apples should be slightly crunchy). Add lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Combine pecans, corn syrup, sugar and butter. Pour mixture into bottom of muffin pan, dividing mixture evenly between all 6 cups.
- Unroll phyllo and cut in half so you have 2-4 ½ x 7 inch sections. Remove single sheet and brush with butter. Repeat with another sheet and place on top of first sheet, crisscrossing sheet. Repeat until you have 6 layers.
- Press into muffin cup on top of pecan mixture.
- Pour apple mixture into opening and cover with overhanging phyllo dough, brushing with butter after each fold. Brush top with butter. Repeat with remaining muffin cups.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and allow dumplings to cool for 5 minutes. Invert dumplings onto serving plate.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve warm.
Submitted by Darlene Buerger (Lawrence, Kan.)