Slow Cooker Spiced Beef and Apple Stew
Slow cooking ensures that the meat, apples and sweet potatoes become tender. Browning the beef first and toasting the cumin seed add complex flavor to this hearty dish, while Michigan Apples, allspice, and thyme complement the flavor. Makes 8 servings.
- 4 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Cumin Seed
- 1-1/2 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1-3/4 cups Kitchen Basics® All Natural Original Beef Stock
- 1 can (6 ounces) frozen Michigan Apple juice concentrate, undiluted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ All Natural Ground Jamaican Allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium Michigan Apples (such as Jonagold), peeled, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
Heat small skillet on medium heat. Add cumin seed; cook and stir about 2 minutes or until fragrant. Immediately pour out of hot pan to avoid over-toasting. Set aside
Coat meat with flour. Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add meat in batches; cook 5 minutes or until browned. Place meat and remaining ingredients in slow cooker; toss to coat well. Cover.
Cook 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH. Thicken with additional flour, if desired.
Recipe & photo source: McCormick.com
Nutrition information per serving: 255 calories; 7 g fat; 26 g carbohydrate; 22 g fiber; 3 g fiber; 405 mg sodium