Roasted Rome & Feta Salad
- 4 firm Michigan Rome Apples*, peeled and cut into sixths
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 4 tbsp. thinly sliced green onions
- 2 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tsp. whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp.apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss apples with brown sugar. Spread in a single layer on prepared sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until apples begin to brown but are still firm enough to pick up with a fork. Remove and cool.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss greens and green onions together. Chill for 30 minutes. Shake dressing ingredients together in a small jar. Set aside. Just before serving, drizzle salad with dressing. Toss. Divide into four salad bowls. Divide bacon and cheese onto each. Arrange 6 apple slices on each. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
*Other suggested varieties: Empire, Jonagold, Fuji, Braeburn, Jonamac, McIntosh
Recipe, submitted by Mary Shivers of Ada, Oklahoma, was a winner in the 2009 Michigan Apple Committee online amateur recipe contest.