Michigan Apples and Potatoes Scalloped
- 1 roll (1 pound) sausage
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 medium Michigan potatoes, peeled and thinly slice
- 2 medium Michigan apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Serves 4-6.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large high-sided skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is cooked through, breaking up sausage with side of spoon.
- Stir in flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in milk. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in salt and pepper.
- Spray 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread half of potatoes and half of apples evenly in bottom of dish. Spread with half of sausage mixture, then layer remaining potatoes and apples and remaining sausage mixture.
- Cover with foil and transfer to oven. Bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until top is lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley, if desired.