Apple and Butternut Squash Salad
Pick up a rotisserie chicken and a whole grain baguette from the supermarket and serve them alongside this delicious salad. Crisp Michigan Apples, roasted butternut squash, fresh greens and crumbly goat cheese make this a perfect salad for cold weather meals.
Makes 4 servings or can make into smaller salads.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes (look for peeled, precut squash in the produce dept.)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 6 cups prepared salad green mix with spinach
- 2 Michigan Apples, sliced (Gala, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Empire)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, if desired
- Light balsamic vinaigrette dressing
In large skillet over medium low heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil; add butternut squash and cook covered, stirring occasionally until butternut is slightly golden and is tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and red onion; cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes.
Place 1-1/2 cups salad greens on 4 plates, top with divided squash mixture, apple slices, goat cheese, walnuts and cranberries. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette.
Recipe & photo adapted from Kroger.com
Nutrition information per serving (based on 4 servings): 324 calories, 16 g fat, 35 g carbohydrate, 10 g protein, 6 g fiber, 438 mg sodium