Scones, salad and skillet apple pie take top honors in 3rd annual online recipe contest
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Holly Whetstone
(DeWitt, Mich.) – Amateur cooks across the nation scoured magazines, cookbooks and family recipes to draw inspiration for their entries in the Michigan Apple Committee’s 3rd Annual Online Recipe Contest.
Winners of the contest, announced Feb. 28, will receive a KitchenAid® Mixer. They are:
- Pure Bliss Apple Ginger Scones from Nadine Mesch of Mount Healthy, Ohio
- Apple Salad with Candied Bacon and Goat Cheese from Diane Nemitz of Ludington, Mich.
- Skillet Apple-Cherry Pie from Donna Bardocz of Howell, Mich.
Due to the high quality of apple recipes submitted, Michigan Apple Committee decided to also award $75 Williams Sonoma® gift certificates to the following runners-up:
- Maple Ginger Sweet Potatoes with Apples from Mary Gardner of Cedar Springs, Ill.
- Apple Cobbler Parfaits from Noelle Kelly of East Lansing, Mich.
- Chewy Apple Brownies from Cindy Beberman of Orland Park, Ill.
“This is the first time we felt compelled to distinguish three runners-up because the entries were that good,” said Holly Whetstone, MAC Marketing and Communications manager.
MAC plans to feature the winning recipes, along with the winners’ photograph, on future recipe cards distributed at orchards, farm markets, trade shows and select grocery stores.
Entries were judged on creativity, apple significance and taste. Official rules are available at: http://www.michiganapples.com/2010-2011amateur-recipe-contest.html.
Michigan Apple Committee is a grower-funded nonprofit organization devoted to promotion, education and research activities to distinguish the Michigan Apple and encourage its consumption in Michigan and around the world. For more information, visit MichiganApples.com.