Apple Rhubarb Cinnamon Muffins
Our friend Kristy at Chocolate Slopes came up with this flavorful muffin recipe with a vanilla glaze. What a treat!
Anyone else love that apples are one of the most versatile fruits available? Here in Michigan we can purchase apples that are grown in Michigan for eleven months out of the year thanks to controlled temperature storage methods. Thankfully we have a plethora of apples to choose from because since the school year began, I have been buying apples in bulk with all three of my children needing to pack daily lunches and snacks. One of their favorite snacks is when I slice an apple using an apple slicer, then put it back into its original shape held together by a rubber band. This way the apple does not brown as quickly as it would if I just sliced it and placed it into a bag.
Thankfully there are plenty of apple varieties to choose from here in Michigan since we grow 16 different kinds of apples. However, are you ever confused as to what apples are best for baking versus eating? Check out this fantastic sliding variety guide to tell you what apples are sweeter or tarter and what they are best used for. Personally, I like apples somewhere in the middle of sweet and tart. This way I can make just about anything with this type of variety and the kids will still love to eat them as a snack.
Regardless of the type of apples I purchase, I am all about baking with apples like with these delicious Apple Rhubarb Cinnamon Muffins. If you’re unfamiliar with rhubarb, it’s actually a vegetable but we treat it more like a fruit. It definitely adds a unique flavor to these muffins. Although fresh rhubarb is typically only available in stores from about April through June, you can easily substitute frozen rhubarb, which can be found at larger grocery store chains like Walmart. Or feel free to substitute the rhubarb for strawberries which are still sold fresh in stores at this time of year. Give them a try!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2/3 white granulated sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 1/2 cup lite sour cream
• 1 small apple, diced
• 1 cup rhubarb, diced
Vanilla Glaze (optional):
• 1/2 cup powdered sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon skim milk
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Stir until combined.
3. In stand mixer add eggs, vanilla extract, honey, canola oil and sour cream. Mix until well blended.
4. Slowly add dry ingredients to mixer, stir until ingredients are well combined.
5. Fold in apple and rhubarb just until combined. Do not over stir.
6. Add about 1/3-1/2 cup batter to each muffin cup.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Vanilla glaze: In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk.
9. Once muffins have cooled, drizzle glaze over top of each muffin.
Kristy Hegner is a registered dietitian and author of Chocolate Slopes, a blog focused on nutritious recipes and realistic healthy living. She lives in Metro Detroit with her husband and 3 young children. You can follow her on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.