Logo
GREAT LAKES, GREAT FLAVORS

Please enter a search term to begin your search.

News » Apple Facts

Michigan Apple Quick Facts

  • Apples are one of Michigan’s largest and most valuable fruit crops, with an average annual economic contribution to the state of $700-$900 million.
  • Michigan is the 3rd largest apple-producing state in the nation, behind Washington and New York.
  • In 2013, Michigan is expected to harvest 30 million bushels of apples.  Average apple harvest is about 19.7 million bushels (828 million pounds) per year.
  • Michigan has more than 9.2 million apple trees in commercial production, covering some 36,500 acres.
  • Newer orchards are trending to high-density planting (up to 600-1,200 trees per acre) that come into production quickly and bring desirable varieties to market quickly.
  • While Michigan is best recognized for its fresh apples in Autumn, the state's fresh apples are typically shipped from mid-August all the way through the following June, following precise storage in controlled atmosphere chambers.
  • About 40 percent of all Michigan apples are sold ready to eat. The remaining 60 percent are processed into other products, including fresh-cut slices, fresh and shelf-stable apple cider and applesauce. Michigan apples comprise the bulk of all apple slices used in commercially prepared apple pies.
  • There are 850 family-operated farms throughout Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.  Small family farmers operating their own orchards continue to dominate the landscape.  According to statistics, 65 percent of Michigan orchards had fewer than 200 acres in apples.
  • In Spring 2011 Michigan apple growers through the Michigan Apple Committee became the first commodity group to partner with Pure Michigan, the multi-million dollar award-winning state tourism and travel campaign.
  • The Michigan Honeycrisp continues to generate excitement! It is continually the overwhelming favorite in taste tests and with good reason! Supplies run from mid-September, into November.
  • Michigan Apple Committee (MAC) is a non-profit governmental organization that works on behalf of growers in the areas of consumer and grower education, market development and research.

The Michigan Apple Committee works….   

  • To promote buying local, increasing in-store visibility and educating families about the importance of healthy eating.
  • To research consumer/market preferences, environmental impacts, new production techniques and to implement integrated pest management practices.
  • On policy concerns such as appropriate state funding for MDA, MSU Extension and MSU Ag Bio Research, state-support of migrant housing inspections and other needed programs.


MichiganApples.com