2012 Amateur Recipe Contest Winner
• 3 Michigan apples*, finely diced
• 1 ½ cups Michigan apple cider, divided
• ¼ cup granulated sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 12 (4-1/2-inch) wonton wrappers
• Caramel sauce, for serving (optional)
• Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
*Suggested varieties: McIntosh and Fuji
1. In medium saucepan, stir together apples, 1 cup cider, sugar and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes or until apples begin to soften, stirring frequently. In small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup cider. Stir cornstarch mixture into apples; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture has thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Press 1 wonton wrapper into each muffin cup, taking care to press against bottom and sides of cup. Lightly spray wrappers with additional spray. Transfer to oven; bake 8 minutes.
3. Remove cups from oven; divide apple mixture between cups. Lightly sprinkle cups with additional sugar. Return to oven; bake 8 minutes. Serve garnished with caramel sauce and whipped cream, if desired.
Created by Debbie C. of Canton, MI