posted on August 24, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Denise Donohue
(Note: Publish with snack tip or breakfast tip photos.)
(DeWitt, Mich.) – Apples are one of the most versatile foods, complimenting any meal from pancakes for breakfast and pork chops for dinner.
Michigan Apple Committee (MAC) offers 10 easy ways to utilize this delicious, healthy fruit in some unique, convenient ways for today’s on-the-go family:
1. Microwave applesauce – For a super quick treat:
- Core and chop 6 Michigan Apples into ½ inch chunks
- Place apples in a microwaveable bowl with ¼ cup water
- Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes
- Stir and cook uncovered for approximately 5 minutes
- Mash apples and stir in 1-2 Tbsp. sugar and ½ tsp. cinnamon
2. Salad topper – Put a twist on your favorite salad by adding slices of sweet, crunchy apple. Toss Michigan Apple slices into a crunchy salad of mixed greens and top with low-fat balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Adding diced apples to coleslaw is also a yummy twist. Mix the following ingredients:
- 1 (16 oz.) bag prepared coleslaw mix
- 1 lg. Michigan Apple, cored and finely diced
- ¼ tsp. celery seed
- ½ cup bottled low-fat coleslaw dressing
3. Apple dunkers – Spread Michigan Apple slices with peanut butter then dip them in your favorite cereal for a sweet crunch. Or enjoy each slice with a dip of warm caramel or creamy vanilla yogurt.
4. Beverages or smoothies – Try your hand at concocting a warm, spiced cider. Add sprinkle of cinnamon to a cup of cider and warm in the microwave. Top with whipped cream for a festive drink. Or blend a creamy apple smoothie. This Fall Harvest Smoothie recipe is a sure hit:
- 1 – ½ cups 2% milk, cold
- 1 cup light vanilla flavored low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup frozen Michigan Apple juice concentrate
- Michigan Apples, sliced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
Combine all ingredients in blender container; cover
Blend until smooth
Serve in tall glasses and garnish with Michigan Apple slices if desired
5. Apple Muffins – Add warm apple flavor to your favorite muffin or bread recipe – it’s easy! Just add a chopped Michigan Apple to a box of quick bread or muffin mix.
6. Garnish for main meal – Decorate your family’s favorite meal by placing sliced Michigan Apples on the side of the dinner plate or sprinkling apple shavings over pork or chicken. Get creative! You can try making shapes with thin slices of apples – such as hearts or butterflies.
7. Cake – Enjoy your favorite cake the healthy way – incorporate Michigan Apples! Swap the usual oil for applesauce using a 1:1 ratio. If your recipe calls for 1 cup oil, use 1 cup applesauce instead.
8. Apple salsa – Tweak your favorite homemade or pre-made salsa by giving it a fruity zip. Add a finely chopped Michigan Apple to a jar of your favorite salsa. Serve with whole grain tortilla chips.
9. Yogurt parfait – The perfect combination of tart crunch and creamy fruit flavor – a Michigan Apple parfait! Make your own by layering chopped Michigan Apples, plain or flavored yogurt and low-fat cinnamon granola in a glass.
10. Oatmeal twist – Top a bowl of cooked whole oats with ½ cup Michigan Apple, diced. Add 1 Tbsp. chopped pecans, 1 Tbsp. raisins and 2 Tbsp. brown sugar. Simply delicious!
Of course, Michigan Apples are always enjoyed fresh out of hand. The fruit is a good source of fiber, and contains no fat or cholesterol. Studies show that consuming an apple a day can help improve lung and memory function, and assist with weight loss.
For more apple recipes, visit MichiganApples.com/recipes.
MAC is a grower-funded, nonprofit organization devoted to promotion, education and research activities to distinguish the Michigan apple and encourage its consumption by consumers in Michigan and around the world.