Michigan Apple Committee posted on September 27, 2017 |
White Cheddar and Pesto Roasted Vegetable Pizza is a flavor loaded, easy pizza with roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, apples and red onions and is topped with fresh arugula for a peppery bite courtesy of The Nutritionist Reviews.
Pizza is a family favorite recipe all around America. What is so interesting about pizza is that you can make it in so many different ways. You can go classic with marinara sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese. Or you can go totally crazy and use whatever sauces, cheeses, vegetables, meats, fruits, etc. that you want. It is so customizable.
This recipe is a bit of a unique one. It uses roasted vegetables that you can customize based on what is in season. Along with the vegetables that I used, other great choices would include butternut squash, broccoli, root vegetables or bell peppers. I went with white cheddar cheese for a boost of flavor compared to traditional mozzarella.
I chose pesto for a super flavorful sauce. I recommend using a fresh, quality pesto for the best flavor. If you want, you can use an Alfredo sauce or a more traditional marinara. This pizza uses your choice of flatbreads or naan pizza crusts which come pre-cooked and are super easy to cook with. If you prefer, you can use your choice of crusts and just cook it according to the instructions.
This pizza was so, so delicious and honestly one of the best pizzas that I have ever eaten. My daughter and I could not stop eating it! My husband is not a fan of pesto so I made him one exactly the same but with a fresh marinara sauce and he said it was delicious. The flavors of the pesto with the sharp white cheddar cheese, roasted vegetables and peppery arugula was so good!
White Cheddar and Pesto Roasted Vegetable Pizza
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 (2 slices per person)
Roasted Vegetables and Apples
• 1 medium sweet potato, finely diced
• 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
• 1 Michigan Mcintosh apple, thinly sliced
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large flatbread or naan pizza crust
• 1/3 cup pesto
• 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
• 1/4-1/2 cup arugula
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss together vegetables and apples with olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
2. Spread crust with pesto and sprinkle with white cheddar cheese.
3. Top with roasted vegetables. Bake for 8 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is partially crispy.
4. Top with fresh arugula. Enjoy!
Amanda Hernandez is a registered dietitian and recipe developer. She grew up on a farm filled with apple trees and apples are one of her favorite foods! She is the author of The Nutritionist Reviews, a healthy recipe, nutrition, fitness and parenting blog. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ and Instagram.