Michigan Apple Committee posted on August 23, 2017 |
Lori Yates, from Foxes Love Lemons, shows us how to make this refreshing fall beverage!
In my house, cocktails are just as seasonal as meals. Summers are spent sipping margaritas and gin and tonics on the front porch, and winters are endured snuggled up on the couch with a bourbon old fashioned. As we transition from summer to fall here in Michigan, I wanted to create a cocktail that will take us from one season right into the next.
I love the bright flavor of a classic Moscow Mule (vodka, ginger beer and lime juice) in the summer. And of course, when I think of autumn, apple pie is one of the first things that comes to mind.
These mules start with a super easy homemade simple syrup that contains the hallmark spices of an apple pie. It's simply a heated mixture of sugar, water, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Once the syrup is made and cooled, it's time to make the mules by adding fresh apple cider, ginger beer, and caramel vodka. Or, feel free to use regular vodka for a classic apple pie flavor. Just don't forget to garnish with fresh Michigan apples for a special touch.
These Caramel Apple Pie Moscow Mules will be my signature cocktail for the next few months. Enjoy!
Caramel Apple Pie Moscow Mules
For the Spiced Simple Syrup:
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 whole nutmeg seed
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup water
For EACH Caramel Apple Pie Moscow Mule:
• 1-1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) caramel vodka
• 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) Spiced Simple Syrup
• 6 ounces (3/4 cup) apple cider
• 2 ounces (1/4 cup) light ginger beer
• Fresh apple slices and cinnamon stick, for garnish
1. Make Spiced Simple Syrup: In small saucepan, combine cinnamon stick, nutmeg seed, sugar and water. Cook over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Remove and discard cinnamon stick and nutmeg seed.Transfer syrup to jar or container and refrigerate until completely cool. Syrup can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 6 ounces syrup (enough for 12 cocktails).
2. To make EACH Caramel Apple Pie Moscow Mule: Place vodka and 1/2 ounce simple syrup in copper mug; stir until well combined. Add cider and ginger beer. Fill remainder of mug with ice; stir until well combined. Serve garnished with fresh apple slices and cinnamon stick.
Home Chef Tip: Don't have a cinnamon stick and whole nutmeg seed? 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg can be substituted in the simple syrup.
Lori Yates is a Detroit-area recipe developer and food photographer. She is the author of Foxes Love Lemons, where she posts special yet simple original recipes for the "home chef" in all of us.